Mbeki joins Zuma quit calls
News
More articles

Mbeki joins Zuma quit calls

Posted PETER DUBE in Pretoria

on  Tuesday, February 13   2018 at  18:39

Former South Africa President Thabo Mbeki has called on his embattled successor Jacob Zuma to immediately resign following Tuesday’s recall announcement by the ruling African National Congress (ANC).

ANC on Tuesday made it clear it was recalling President Zuma with the intention of deploying Cyril Ramaphosa until next year’s General Election.

Best served

Mr Mbeki, who was axed in a similar fashion by President Zuma in 2008, said it had been obvious for many years that the interests of the country would be best served if Mr Zuma ceased to be president of the republic.

“As a disciplined and loyal cadre of the ANC and out of respect for the constitution of the country, Mr Zuma must communicate with the Speaker of the House of Assembly to tender his resignation as the President of the Republic,” Mr Mbeki said in a statement issued via his Foundation.

He welcomed the ANC decision to recall President Zuma, saying it was long overdue.

“This long overdue resolution by the NEC of the African National Congress gives the possibility for the ANC as the governing party to urgently and immediately attend to the many challenges and negative developments which have arisen during the years of the Presidency of Mr Zuma,” he said.

Mr Mbeki believes the axing of President Zuma was a step in the right direction for the ANC because he faced the possibility of prosecution for alleged criminal offences and was directly associated with negative developments. The negative developments he was referring to include alleged corruption of various state bodies like the State-Owned Enterprises, the National Prosecuting Authority and the State Capture and serious economic mismanagement.

Many challenges

The ANC’s alliance partner, the South African Communist Party (SACP), also welcomed the move saying it would speed the resolving of the many challenges facing the government and society as a whole.

“The decision should pave the way to a deep-going, decisive self-correction and greater ANC and Alliance unity to revitalise democratic support from lost ground towards greater heights,” SACP spokesperson, Alex Mashilo, said.